Joining city halls, community centers, houses of worship and other institutions in 300 communities nationwide, The Wright Museum and Marriage Resource Center are joining forces to celebrate the 10th anniversary of Black Marriage Day.
Black Marriage Day was first launched in Washington, D.C., by Nisa Muhammad, founder of the Wedded Bliss Foundation. This national initiative encourages African Americans to embrace an institution that has long been on the decline within this community by highlighting the deep-rooted historical role marriage has played among African Americans, as well as the reality that there are still black men and women who, day in and day out, meet, fall in love, get married, and stay together.
Brown Paper Tickets Ticket Widget Loading...
Click Here to visit the Brown Paper Tickets event page.
- Welcome (TBA) - Performance (New Millennium Dance Productions) - Keynote address (Nneka J. Owens, psychotherapist)
LUNCHEON, 1 P.M. (Courtesy of Dorsey Culinary School)
- Featuring the comedy of Horace H.B. Sanders
PHOTO/ESSAY CONTEST, 2:30 P.M.
Couples will be able to have their photo taken and can then submit that photo along with a written essay about their relationship to a team of experts who will judge a winning couple in each category:
- Most Enduring -- For a couple married at least 15 years and still passionate about one another - Overcomers -- For a couple that has or is facing, and beating, great hardship, yet staying together in spite of it all - Most Bountiful -- For a couple that, together, has four (4) or more children (not to include blended marriages) - Most Romantic Proposal -- For an officially engaged couple (marriage date must be set; ceremony location should be booked) - Sexiest Couple – For that committed, eye-catching couple that, despite kids and careers and whatever else, still manages to keep the spark in their marriage - Couple of the Year – Taking into account such factors as how this couple met, how long they have been married, what they have overcome to be together; their enduring passion and the well-being/success of their children
Winning couples will receive prizes provided by Meijer Inc., Fishbone's Rhythm Kitchen Cafe, Best Western PLUS Sterling Inn, the Dearborn Inn, and others.
POWER SESSION, 4:15 p.m.
- Money and Marriage: Making It Work for You (Earthel Parker, author, “Financial Nuggets”)
FINALE, 5 P.M.
Hosted by the Marriage Resource Center
- Vow renewal ceremony - Awards -- Announce winners of photo/essay contest - Dinner (Courtesy of Dorsey Culinary School) - Closing dance *Music provided by DetroitDJ.net