Museum Operations Manager
The Operations Manager’s role is crucial in the functioning of the Museum. Ensuring that all systems are maintained, providing a safe and secure environment, and maintaining the building’s appearance reflects the care that is taken in presenting all aspects of the Museum’s programs and exhibitions. Monitoring the Museum’s overall physical plant including all HVAC, plumbing, electrical and mechanical systems is required.
General Summary of Duties
The Operations Manager will oversee the day-to-day operations of the Museum and maintaining a presence in the Museum when it is open to the public. This position maintains building security, serves as building coordinator and primary contact for facilities issues. This position will also work with a variety of departments to coordinate and evaluate Museum operations, policies, procedures and to ensure proper maintenance and safety procedures are implemented to safeguard staff, visitors and Museum’s property. The position will articulate the mission of the organization and see that operational activities and environments represent the Museum’s mission and institutional values are reflected in the Museum’s brand. This position frequently requires flexibility in the daily routine to meet the needs of the museum. This position requires that the individual be approachable, responsible, and work independently and with a variety of staff, vendors as well as the general public. This position requires confidentiality, integrity, understanding, and high ethical standards. Excellent public/interpersonal verbal and written communication, time management, organizational and computer skills are required.
Essential Duties of the Position:
• Maintains building security, serves as building coordinator and primary contact for facilities issues.
• Develops operating policies and procedures and directs the work operations including building maintenance.
• Secures and protects the Museum’s assets, including facilities and equipment.
• Implements general policies established by the Board of Trustees and management; directs their administration and execution.
• Coordinates development of operating and capital budgets according to the budget calendar; monitors monthly and other financial statements for the museum; takes effective corrective action as required.
• Provides advice and recommendations to the President & CEO and committees about construction, alterations, maintenance, materials, supplies, equipment and services not provided in approved plans and/or budgets.
• Consistently ensures that the Museum is operated in accordance with all applicable local, state and federal laws.
• Monitor and maintain Museum’s physical plant including HVAC, plumbing, electrical and mechanical systems.
• Provide facility maintenance and repair on both an as needed and regularly scheduled basis throughout the Museum owned facilities by conducting regular inspections of buildings and grounds making recommendations for improvements and repairs.
• Contributes to the leadership and overall effectiveness of the Museum by attending all management meetings, participates in discussions, and supports the museum’s decision making process.
• Establishes and monitors annual goals and budgets for the department.
• Maintains as-built plans for facility and consults with necessary contractors to plan for future facilities improvements inside and outside the museum; overseeing work and managing costs and time.
• Reports employee/staff infractions to the President & CEO for necessary action
• Works closely with multiple departments to determine demands of new exhibitions, programming and special events, including but not limited to effective lighting, plumbing, electrical, audio-visual needs, etc., collaborating to design practical solutions to meet the requirements within time and budget.
• Management of the Museum’s MSDS Information.
• Be a member of the Museum’s Safety Committee and assist in the updating, testing and monitoring of the museum’s emergency procedures.
• Establish and maintain good working relationships with vendors, outside contractors, firms and individuals providing services to the museum, such as police, fire, and other governmental agencies.
• Operates a motor vehicle to assist in carrying out the business of the Museum.
• Effectively manage and lead large tour groups, volunteer groups and events.
• Schedules staffing and security for all evening events.
• Assist with opening and closing of Museum as needed.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional Key Responsibilities
• Hires, trains and manages all Janitorial/ Maintenance staff.
• Develop, coach and lead the custodial/maintenance staff by fostering a positive work environment that encourages collaboration and the diversity of styles and thinking.
• Establishes and approves workloads and performance standards.
• Ensures proper cleanliness and sanitation of all museum facilities and environments.
• Coordinates all ordering and usage of janitorial supplies and chemical
• Handles emergencies such as fires, accidents and breaches of security or house rules promptly and in person.
• Emphasizes prevention through training, inspection and preventive enforcement.
Required Education and Experience
• Bachelor's Degree or higher preferred
• Working knowledge of HVAC, electrical, plumbing and mechanical systems is highly preferred.
• Majority of the requirements of the position can be performed in normal office conditions, but must be able to work in both interior and exterior temperatures and conditions.
• Comfortable walking/standing for extended periods of time.
• Must be able to balance, bend, climb, crouch, reach, stand, sit and twist.
• Must have the finger dexterity to operate mechanical and office equipment as well as power tools as necessary. Must be able to lift / move up to 20 lbs.
• Must exhibit mobility in order to monitor and maintain systems organization wide and to meet the daily demands of the position.
General Summary of Duties:
We are looking for a part time experienced Building Engineer to join our team. This position requires skilled and semi-skilled tasks in the installation, repair, maintenance and operation of mechanical, electrical, environment controls, and HVAC systems.
Responsibilities & Requirements:
• Responsible for the installation, maintenance, operation and repair of mechanical and electrical equipment and systems.
• Ensures proper operation of systems in compliance with required regulations and codes.
• Tests, maintains and evaluates equipment by using instrumentation.
• Inspects and repairs pumps, fans, valves and motors ensuring proper operation of the facility equipment and systems.
• Performs all duties in a safe manner and in accordance with established work standards.
• Complies with all company policies and procedures and adheres to company standards of business ethics and conduct.
• Must be a team player committed to working in a quality environment.
• Willing to perform other duties as assigned.
A minimum of five years of commercial building maintenance experience required. HVAC certification is preferred. Candidate must have good verbal and written communication skills, and must be able to be on call and work any shift including weekends.
Guest Services Associate
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Minimum Education: High School Diploma
Reports to: Guest Services & SRO Manager
General Summary of Duties:
Under general direction of the Guest Services and SRO Manager, the Guest Services Associate is the face of the Museum to the public. The Associate greets and welcomes guests, tour groups, and all members of the public into the Museum environment. The associate provides general guidance, in addition to processing ticket sales and performing cashier duties.
Essential Duties of the Position:
• Greet and welcome guests, tour groups and members of the public entering the facility and provide a brief general orientation to the Museum
• Be responsible for ticket sales and effective handling of the cash drawer
• Have the ability to rotate to other roles, including acting as gallery monitor, retail sales assistant, and special events set ups, as needed
Additional Key Responsibilities:
• Process sales transactions; process ticket sales for exhibitions, public programs and special events
• Monitor and replenish stock of supplies; maintain and balance cash drawer
• Assist customers and visitors with their purchases and handle special purchase requests
• Provides general orientation for guests provides orientation in galleries and acts as gallery monitor
• Assist in opening and closing retail outlets, as needed, for special events
• Other duties as assigned
Required Education and Experience:
• High School Diploma or GED required
• Previous experience in a customer service position to include cash handling experience
• Good oral communication skills along with basic math aptitude
• Must be able to sit and stand for extended periods of time
• Must be able to lift 10 lbs
• Museum / office environment
May require work on nights and weekends for special events