Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. Detroit Alumnae Chapter, in partnership with the Charles H. Wright Museum of African History, presents this exhibition in celebration of the National organization’s centennial year. Twenty-two collegiate women at Howard University founded the Sorority on January 13, 1913, with the objective of using their collective strength to promote academic excellence and to provide assistance to persons in need. The first public act performed by the Delta Founders involved their participation in the Women's Suffrage March in Washington D.C., March 1913.
Incorporated in 1930, Delta Sigma Theta is now a sisterhood of more than 200,000 predominantly black college-educated women, with 900 chapters located in the United States, England, Japan (Tokyo and Okinawa), Germany, the Virgin Islands, Bermuda, the Bahamas, and the Republic of Korea.
The Detroit Alumnae Chapter had its beginnings as Tau Chapter in 1924 on the campus of what was then Wayne University. Tau Chapter was then a combined collegiate and graduate organization. On May 13, 1939, Alpha Pi Sigma was chartered for the graduate members, and Tau Chapter became the undergraduate chapter. In 1958, the name Alpha Pi Sigma was changed to Detroit Alumnae Chapter representing the geographical area in which chapter services were performed. This exhibition presents the history and good works that the Detroit Alumnae Chapter has provided in the community during the past 72 years.
Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. Celebrating a Century of Sisterhood, Scholarship and Service: 1913 - 2013 is free with museum admission.