34th annual African World Festival
Join the community celebration of the year!
Friday - Sunday, August 19 - 21, 2016 from 11 AM - 11 PM Daily
The 34th annual African World Festival once again brings over 150,000 attendees to The Wright Museum for this FREE 3-day festival for the entire family featuring performances, poetry, arts and crafts, African drumming and dance, hundreds of vendors, ethnic foods, and events for all ages!
• Friday, August 19 from 5:30 - 8:30 PM: Mix 92.3 FM After Work Affair featuring Al B. Sure!
• Saturday, August 20 at 6:30 PM: Karen Clark Sheard & Dorinda Clark Cole
• Saturday, August 20 at 9 PM: Detroit Rocks The Runway Fashion Show with musical guests Collective Peace
• Sunday, August 21 at 9 PM: AfroPop Special featuring performers from Cameroon, Sierra Leone & Nigeria
• Historic Area Walking Tours with Jamon Jordan, President, The Black Scroll Study Group History & Tours and ASALH Detroit
• Watoto (Children's) Village featuring the Knight Detroit Book Fair with local authors, storytelling & free books for children!
• "Green" festival features including bike valet, complimentary solar powered cellphone charging stations, recycling, community gardening demonstrations & more
• See ALL of The Wright Museum's fabulous exhibits with special festival weekend museum admission of only $5! The Wright will be open until 7 PM daily.
Click below to download the following documents:
The 2016 African World Festival is made possible by the support of Ford Motor Company and the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation.
The Health & Wealth pavilion is sponsored by The Core Institute.