As of February 11, 2014
Marketing & PR Manager
You're a marketing mind in search of a noble mission for which to put your talents to the test. You are all things digital - Adobe, Google, Twitter, Pinterest - and though perhaps not an expert on each, you are willing to dive deep when a project demands it, and welcome an excuse to explore. Your online portfolio, blog, or social media profiles establish your credibility instantly with professional yet creative work. You're social - social media doesn't take the place of hitting the pavement, meeting people, and enjoying events, all of which you do - but you're nevertheless totally connected online and have more "friends" than you know what to do with. You can wax eloquent with the written word and understand the power of language, but also know its limitations, when color, shape, sound, and movement are necessary to convey action or emotion. You're excited by the prospect of contributing your creative energies and expertise in the service of humanity and non-profit work. You're entranced by the arts, museums and cultural institutions. You're awed by history. The idea of working at the world's largest museum of African American History ennobles you.
Well here's YOUR chance!
The Charles H. Wright Museum of African American History is looking for a talented, multifaceted, ambitious and creative individual to become our Marketing & PR Manager. This full-time position reports to the Director of Marketing & Communications and helps conceive, create and execute marketing strategies and tactics to promote the museum, its exhibitions, events and services for dissemination across a variety of channels including print, web, radio, video, email and social media.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Learn everything possible about the museum and its mission, history, programming, and needs
• Conduct market research and constantly conceive ways to improve museum's market share
• Event marketing, taking lead on research, planning, and promotion of marketing activities for public programming. Help with event sponsor and partner solicitation. Participate in both broad-based and targeted audience development efforts.
• Phone, email, social media and in-person communications coordination
• Write news releases, executive messages, articles, advertorials, and promotional messaging
• Work with designers, printers, and vendors to produce print marketing materials including annual reports, newsletters, and promotional fliers
• Prepare content and provide updates for email marketing, websites, media calendars, and social media
• Distribution of marketing materials to the metropolitan Detroit community, including hands-on direction of interns, volunteers, and street-team tactics
• Relationship-building with journalists, bloggers, members, visitors, and donors
• Supervisory duties of interns and support staff
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIRED
• Bachelors Degree or equivalent experience in marketing, communications, advertising, or related field
• 3 - 5 years of demonstrated experience in a professional capacity - even if your own artistic or entrepreneurial projects
• Broad-based understanding of communications fundamentals, and an unwavering eye for detail
• Active interest in African American history and culture, the Arts, and/or a willingness to immerse yourself in these areas
• Excellent verbal and interpersonal communication skills. Be able to dive deep, learn about, and adopt the voice of the museum. Must be able to eloquently and efficiently speak to the importance of the museum and its mission in a compelling, engaging manner in a variety of settings and through a variety of channels.
• Exceptional writing skills. Marketing copy and article-length writing is expected on a regular basis. Accuracy, timeliness, and efficiency are expected, especially in regards to writing for online/social media outlets.
• Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office and Google products
• Working knowledge of CMS platforms, especially Joomla, a plus
• Working knowledge of HTML, XHTML, and Constant Contact a plus
• Knowledge of and some ability with Adobe Creative Suite a plus
• Must be actively engaged on online social networks
• Must be Web 2.0 savvy
• Must have a strong interest in online and mobile media
• Strong customer service orientation
• Effective project management skills
• Ability to multi-task
• Must be able to work independently
• Be highly motivated and energetic
• Willing to work hard, but able to work smart
• Ability to interact professionally with clients, and have good judgment
• Extroverted (or can fake it when necessary!)
• Strong work ethic
• Team player
• Problem solver
• Relationship builder
The position involves minimal physical exertion, except when assisting in the production of a special event or promotion.
Primarily work in the office, outside of the office for events and promotional activities, and online as needed.
Salary commensurate with experience; benefits include medical, dental, paid vacation and sick time.