As of July 25, 2013
Job Title: Senior Accountant
FLSA Status: Exempt
Prepared Date: July 25, 2013
The Senior Accountant is an integral part of the Finance department and is responsible for all aspects of monthly closing and maintenance of the organizations financial records, including preparing financial reports and statements, lead the monthly and annual closing processes, assist with managing the work flow of accounting staff and perform certain cash receipts functions. The Senior Accountant is also has a responsibility of protecting the assets of the organization and must follow all procedures and controls in a timely manner.
The Senior Accountant will maintain professionalism when interacting with all internal and external customers and always preserve a high level of confidentiality.
This job description is by no means all inclusive and may be subject to change during a performance period due to the needs of the CHWMAAH and its leadership. This document will be reviewed on a continual basis and will be modified as needed.
Authority and Accountability
The Accountant has the authority to carry out the job requirements and responsibilities and is accountable to the Chief Financial Officer.
Lead the monthly and annual year-end close process, prepare monthly financial statements and reports, analyze balance sheet and income statement monthly to ensure the accuracy of financial information presented, provide guidance and accounting assistance to internal and external customers, prepare monthly bank and general ledger account reconciliations, monitor banking activites, prepare, review and approve journal entries.
Other duties will include preparing deposits, maintaining schedules, completing tax returns. Assist the Chief Financial Officer with developing and managing the annual budget and external audit processes, as well as supporting the Chief Financial Officer in carrying out the responsibilities of the Finance Department.
• Review and approve all accounts payable batches for appropriate documentation and mangement approval prior to payment
• Assist with directing accounts payable, cash receipts processing, and enter and create daily depositis
• Review accounting documents to ensure accuracy of information and calculations, makes or directs correcting entries
• Assist with the monthly and year-end closings by maintaining schedules, reconciling various accounts, and reporting on variances
• Assist with inventory control, management of the fixed assets, and accounting and reporting for Sales and Use Tax
• Assist with grant requirements and compliance, monitor and maintain the restricted fund balances
• Perform other ad hoc accounting or administrative tasks requested by the CFO, CEO or COO. Assist with other projects as needed to support the Finance Department
A Bachelor’s Degree in accounting is required; advanced degree is desirable 5+ years of direct accounting and finance experience with demonstrated knowledge of accounting, budgeting, and financial analysis required and experience with Not-for-Profit Accounting
Thorough knowledge of accounting principles, accounts payable, general ledger systems and procedures, ability to prepare financial statements and work independently to apply accounting practice and theory
Initiative to work independently and with a team in a fast-paced environment to contribute to department goals, with emphasis on accuracy and timeliness
Possess strong organizational, time management and strong problem solving skills.
Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing
Working knowledge of Financial Edge (a big plus) and MS Office Suite (Word and Excel)